Turning a JPG image into a PDF is easier than you might imagine.
There are various ways to achieve this, all of which can be free and none require you to install any software. You can use built-in Windows tools or upload your JPGs to a website that converts them and gives you a link to download the PDF version.
How do I convert a JPG to PDF file?
If you have Windows 8.1 or later, you’ll have a built-in PDF printer. If you’re still using an earlier version (which you shouldn’t be as all support has now ended) then download and install Adobe Reader DC to get the same function.
We’re using Windows 10 here, which has a built-in option to ‘print’ to PDF. This means that in any application that has a Print option you can pick a printer called Microsoft Print to PDF and it will save that file as a PDF. Very handy.
1. open Windows File Explorer (the shortcut is Windows+E).
2. Navigate to the JPG file(s) you want to convert. You can select multiple files by clicking and dragging a rectangle around them, or by holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard and clicking on each one you want. Obviously the files need to be in the same folder. Choosing multiple files will create a multi-page PDF document.
3. Now right-click on any of the selected files and choose Print.
This opens up Windows’ built-in image printing wizard. Here you need to change the printer to Microsoft Print to PDF. If that’s missing from the list, install Adobe Reader DC as mentioned above.
4. You can use the options available in the wizard to put multiple images on each page of the PDF, and even change the page size from A4 to another size.
5. Once you’ve set all your options click Print.
You’ll see the printing progress happening just as if the file was being printed normally but at the end a box will pop up asking where you want to save your PDF. You’ll also need to enter a file name.
Click the Save button and your PDF will be created, ready to share with anyone you like.
Can I convert JPG to PDF online?
Yes. There are lots of websites where you can upload your JPG files and convert them into one PDF. Or you can create a PDF from a single image.
All the websites work in the same basic way. We’re using JPG2PDF here. Unlike some of these free services, this one has no file size limit and won’t put a watermark on the PDFs.
1. Click the link above to go to the site and either drag and drop your JPGs or click the Upload Files button.
2. When your files are all uploaded, click the COMBINED button which should really say ‘Download’ as that’s what it does.
You may have to edit the filename after it has downloaded as it defaults to jpg2pdf.pdf.
If you need to combine several files, here’s how to merge PDFs, And if you want to take some pages from an existing file, here’s how to extract pages from a PDF.